Sunday, April 22, 2012

A little love for some Basset grandmas

I actually did it! I completed a task that I set for myself in a timely manner. I have actually made two Mother's Day cards just like I wanted to. Well, not exactly as I wanted to. The first one I made for my mother and I messed up on it several times, but we'll get into that.


For these cards, you will need:
  • Cardstock of desired color and size (I cut mine to 6 1/4 by 8)
  • Scrap booking paper
  • Paper doily
  • Buttons of desired colors
  • Liquid and stick glue
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Ink
  • Sentiment stamp (I used a "make your own sentiment" set by Martha Stewart)
  • Shape punchout (I really would have loved to use banners, but alas, I don't have any) 
 I'm not quite sure of the cost for each card as I had all of the materials at home already.


First is the doily. I was originally going to stamp directly onto the doily but I smeared it :( So I tried to cover it up with another doily.

If you look closely, you can see the second doily/the messup :(

 And you could still see the blue ink. So my final solution ended up being to stamp the sentiment (Happy Morther's Day) onto a white card stock punchout and then gluing that to a brown kraft paper punchout that I had in my supplies. Whew, crisis averted!

The blue paper that was used already had the lace pattern along the edges, making it extremely ideal!



Notice how my two themes, the doily and buttons, were both integrated into it exactly as I wanted it to be.

The second thing that I did today was make a weight loss tracker using decorative glass pebbles and a few clear cups in different shapes. I kept it simple and didn't put any lettering on the cups as to their purpose since both the GG and I know what they are for and this way they look a bit more decorative on our kitchen counter.
 This one is GG's

Instead of each having our own glass to put in our lost weight, we each are putting it into the same one as a sort of act of unity. We're in this together!! (So cheesy, I know) The clear pebbles each represent one pound, the blue/purple ones get moved over at 5 pounds, and the flower bead is the end weight!

My weight loss goal is to get rid of 20 pounds and his is for 16. I feel like the shorty is going to have to work harder *wink* It looks like we may start going to the lake sometime next week so we definitely are behind in getting back to our beach bods. Hehe

The view of mine from the top...so many pebbles!

As for where I got the materials, I just went to Marshall's after searching through Ross and Target and got the three cups for $2.99 each and the pebbles for $3.00 for about $13.00 (with tax) for this little reminder. I could have used my normal cups, but I don't like to run out as it is, so I figured the little decorative ones would do better.

And while I'm typing all of this up, check out who kept me company.
Jeni's paw is in the top right


No comments:

Post a Comment