Saturday, January 28, 2012

Basset and her rescue sister

One thing that serves to stress me out and to relieve stress is involvement in a local all breed animal rescue. Unfortunately, there is a great demand for it in my area and so there are quite a few local ones but I picked one a few years back who were willing to help me out (I rescued a mother and her kittens when someone was about to be evicted for taking them in from the cold) and I continue to work with them to this day.

I have been trying to figure out some fundraisers that I can do and other crafty things that can help at adoptions. I came up with a simple and easy craft involving cheap items from craft stores or even from Wal*Mart that can help catch the eye of potential adopters at adoption events. Some of you may have seen similar variations from time to time and I know that these types of things are even sold on sites such as etsy and ebay.

Materials needed~
  • Bandanas - 99 cents at Hobby Lobby
  • Iron on letters - two different brands for under $5 each (WalMart and Hobby Lobby)


Equipment needed~
  • Iron
  • Ironing board
  • Scissors (optional)
  • Cotton cloth (optional, not pictured)


First, the decision needs to be made concerning what phrases should be used. Possible phrases are:
  • Be Mine
  • Pick Me
  • Adopt Me
  • I'm Yours
  • Best Friend
  • Kiss Me
Some organizations may desire to use these as a quick look at a dog's quirks, such as "social" or "no cats." After the letters are cut out or peeled, arrange them in the desired phrase on an ironed bandana. Then iron the letters according to the package directions.



Now they're ready to help your rescue dogs catch the eye of their new forever families!





Contact a local animal rescue to see if you can donate some bandanas of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment